SphygmoCor® for Central Arterial Pressure Waveform Analysis
SphygmoCor is a new test that measures the pressure waveform at the heart, helping physicians better understand a patient’s high blood pressure. The results are important in managing treatment and reducing damage to the heart, kidneys and other organs.
SphygmoCor measures the pressure waveform at the heart.
- Important in managing treatment and reducing damage to the heart, kidneys and other organs
- Provides a wide range of valuable information about your heart and arteries
- Reports show how your results compare with those of other men or women your age
Why is this procedure important?
- This waveform information is different than the blood pressure in the arm
- Doctors have long known that this information, measured at the heart, is the most clinically important
- The results can help your doctor better manage your blood pressure and may help with treatment decisions
How does the SphygmoCor System work?
- Depending on the type of SphygmoCor test you’re having, the system either uses a cuff placed around the upper arm or a sensor the size of a pen, which is pressed gently against the skin at your wrist
- The cuff or pen is connected to the SphygmoCor system
How are the test results used?
- To give your health care provider additional information to manage your blood pressure
- To see how diet, exercise and medication therapy are improving your test results
SphygmoCor systems are used in leading hospitals and physician offices worldwide.
Ask your doctor if SphygmoCor testing would be helpful to you.
The SphygmoCor test is simple and painless, taking only a few minutes to perform. While you are seated in a comfortable position, the nurse or doctor will place a blood pressure cuff around your arm and connect the cuff to a SphygmoCor system. The test provides your physician with the pressure waveform at the heart along with a wide range of valuable information about your heart and arteries.
The SphygmoCor system is connected to a computer that creates a report with this information. The report also shows how your results compare with those of other men or women your age.
The SphygmoCor XCEL (Cuff-Based) Test
The SphygmoCor (Sensor-Based) Test